In 1863, Mathias and Margaret Timmer emigrated from Germany, ultimately settling in the Town of West Bend. They purchased the property that is now known as Timmer’s Resort on January 4, 1864.
In 1880, work was started on the first building which was completed and opened in 1882 as a hotel. Their daughter, Mary, acted as hostess and greeted guests as they arrived from Schlesingerville (Slinger) by buggies and a horse-drawn bus. The rectangular “TIMMER” stone near the parking area served as a step to be used when arriving in carriages.
In 1907, Leonard and Rose Timmer became the property owners and additional cottages were erected, with electricity and running water added in 1926.
The Resort struggled but survived (and actually prospered) during both Prohibition and the Great Depression. The Prohibition years forced the owners to have their beer smuggled into the resort from a Chicago brewery via a neighbor’s pie truck. And bartering became a way of life during the depression years to assure that guests were properly fed and housed.